Issue date: 25/05/2018
PURPOSE OF THIS POLICY
This policy describes how we collect and use personal data about you, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Please read the following carefully to understand our practices concerning your personal data and how we will treat it.
For the purpose of the Data Protection Legislation, we (J G Burgess and Company) are the ‘data controller’. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and how we use personal data. We are obliged under GDPR to advise you of the information contained in this document.
HOW WE MAY COLLECT YOUR PERSONAL DATA
As we conduct our normal business with you we collect information (data) relating to both you and your vehicle, for example (and this not a complete list), when:
- Your vehicle comes into our workshop for service or repair.
- You buy parts and accessories from us.
- You order or buy a motor vehicle from us.
- We contact or correspond with you.
- You deal with us in general.
- You request information.
- You borrow a courtesy vehicle.
THE KIND OF INFORMATION THAT WE RETAIN ABOUT YOU
The information we hold about you may include the following:
- Your personal details, for example, name, address, contact information and, in some cases, certain financial details that are necessary for the quoting, proposing and processing of credit agreements.
- Details of the vehicle(s) that you own or drive.
- Details of the services and goods that we have supplied to you.
- Details of any complaints that you have made.
- Information from research, surveys and marketing activities.
- Information that we receive from other sources, including Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and their associated companies.
HOW WE USE THE PERSONAL DATA THAT WE HOLD ABOUT YOU
Other than the processing or your personal data for purposes necessary for the performance of our contract with you, we use your data:
- To generate reminders (including service and MOT)
- We may process your personal data for the purposes of our own legitimate interests provided that these do not override your own interests, rights and freedoms which require the protection of personal data. This includes letting you know of additional products and services that we have available from time to time (promotions).
- For manufacturer’s information/CSI. Fiat will let us know if your vehicle is subject to a product update or recall enabling us to contact you. We pass data to Fiat or their agents in order that they may also contact you directly from time to time and where appropriate, to carry out quality checks on the service that we provide.
We will only retain your personal data for as long as is necessary to fulfil the purposes for which it is collected.
When assessing the retention period for your personal data, we take the following into consideration:
- The requirement of our business and the services that we provide to you
- Statutory obligations (retention of records for HRMC)
- The types of personal data that we have collected
- Whether the purpose of the processing could be reasonably be fulfilled by other means
Our normal and general policy for the retention of personal data is a period of approximately 2 years from the last update. If we don’t see you as a customer within this period we will delete your customer file.
We will share your personal data only with Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, their associated companies and agents (when appropriate) where we have a legitimate interest to do so.
Personal data that we hold on our computer main server can only be accessed by our own staff using individual passwords. The server is located in a secure facility off site.
Certain hard copy information is stored in file binders on site on our premises.
RIGHTS OF ACCESS, CORRECTION, ERASURE AND RESTRICTION
Your duty to inform us of change
It is important that the personal data that we hold about you is accurate and current. Should your personal information change, please notify us in person, by email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or telephone (01795 423815).
Your rights in connection with personal data
By law you have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data that we hold about you and to check that we are processing it lawfully.
- Request correction of personal data
- Request deletion of personal data
- Select the areas where we can continue to use your personal data
- Modify the method that we or Fiat Chrysler Automobiles (or their associates) use to contact you
You can enquire about the personal information we hold or update the records we hold, by personally contacting us, by telephone (01795 423815) or by email (email@example.com).
You also have the right to make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO), the UK supervisory authority (responsible for monitoring and enforcing this EU directive in the UK), at any time. The ICO’s contact details are:
Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF
Tel No: 0303 123 1113